Apr 9, 2021
On this Magnificent Aging Podcast
episode, Deirdre speaks to Pam Sheppard-Katra the Director of
Social Services at Hancock Hall, a privately owned and operated
skilled nursing and rehabilitation center in Danbury, Ct and Kathy
Berry who is a geriatric nurse helping clients of Hancock Hall
navigate thru Medicare. Although caring for your aging parents can
be rewarding it can also be very daunting and with many hurdles.
You do not want to miss this; it will help you get over the hurdles
with ease and understanding. Enjoy Listening!
- Discover the benefits of having a social worker help you and
your family when your aging parent needs to transition from their
home to a skilled nursing facility.
- Saying no to your aging parent is hard, learn ways to say it
- What happens when you and your siblings are not close, you are
the one caring for mom or dad daily and they do not see the decline
as you do. How do you deal with their disbelief? Learn ways to keep
them in the loop.
- Know the signs to look for that may indicate it’s time for your
aging parent to move into an assisted living facility.
- Learn to let go of the idea that YOU must do everything.
- Why is it important to prepare early? For example, living will,
power of attorney.
- When it is time to take away “freedom” from your parent, from
taking the car keys to paying bills? Tips to make the transition
- Getting outside help is crucial to your well-being but more
importantly, it allows you to spend quality time with your parent
as their child, not their caregiver. Great
suggestions as to who you can reach out to for that added
- The end goal for you and your family should be the same, “How
do we get mom or dad the best care they need?” Hear why keeping the
lines of communication open is crucial in reaching that goal.
- Denial and guilt can be an overwhelming feeling certainly when
caring for your aging parent. Discover ways to work through those
feelings with the confidence that you have mom and dads’ best
interest in mind.
Kathy’s favorite ice cream is Rocky Road from Il Bacio in
Danbury, CT and the song that brings her back to her youth is Elton
John’s Yellow Brick Road. When Kathy is not working, she loves to
Pam’s favorite ice cream is Peanut Butter Fudge from Rich Farm
and the song that brings her back to her youth is Madonna’s,
Material Girl. Pam loves spending her leisure time with her
Kathy and Pam can be reached at www.Hancockhall.com or (203)
This episode is sponsored by DeClutter By Deirdre, A Senior Move
management. Helping You and Your Loved Ones DeClutter, Move &
Live a Fuller Life. Take a look at my website www.DeClutterByDeirdre.com
“Thank you for listening, I appreciate you!” ~Deirdre Dolan